DIY Driveway Ideas for Your Home
The driveway… No one gives it a second thought, right? That is until there’s not enough room to park all your vehicles or it starts to show signs of wear and tear. At that point, a home’s driveway can make your home look less than appealing. If you need some more space for parking your car or your driveway could use a facelift, the ideas below are sure to help. Even if you’re not the handiest of people, you should be able to do these DIY projects with ease.
1. Make a New Parking SpaceThe easiest and least expensive fix for not enough parking is to clear out some sod and lay down some mulch. The result looks great and it can be finished in less than a day. The problem with this DIY project is that it isn’t permanent. Even if you put weed barrier under the mulch, eventually weeds will find their way through. Furthermore, mulch fades in the sun over time and can get carried away by rain. Maintaining a parking pad like this requires routine maintenance to keep it looking good. If mulch doesn’t seem like the right material for the job, try laying gravel, stones, or oyster shells instead.
2. Create a Paver DrivewayA more solid and durable option is to create a driveway out of pavers. Pavers are concrete blocks or bricks that when laid correctly create a lovely surface that lasts for many years. There are several steps to laying a paver driveway.
- Dig out the area where the pavers are to go
- Lay a base material like crushed concrete and use a compactor to pack it down
- Lay a thin layer of sand over the base material
- Arrange the paver bricks on top of sand layer in your desired pattern
- Pour a concrete border to keep the bricks from shifting outward
- Using a broom, fill the joints between the bricks with more sand